Saturday, September 28, 2013

Poetry


I love poetry! I never read it till I read “Broken Open” (a super-inspiring self-help type book by Elizabeth Lesser) anyways, Elizabeth talks about Rumi’s poems so much in the book and I thought I would give them a shot. I got “A Year with Rumi” by Coleman Banks on my kindle and started reading. At first I didn’t really understand half of what he was trying to convey, but the poems mesmerized me and now they’ve become a daily (well almost daily). One of my recent favorites is: “Whatever Gives Pleasure:”

"Whatever gives pleasure
is the fragrance of a friend.
Whatever makes us wonder
comes from the light.
What is inside the ground
begins to sprout
because you spilled wine there.
What dies in autumn comes up in spring
because this way of saying no
becomes in spring your praise-song, yes."

Enjoy,


Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment